Not So Sweet Frosting! My Favorite Buttercream Frosting Recipe

This is my absolute favorite buttercream frosting recipe.  It is a bit more time consuming to make than most other butter cream frostings, but it is well worth the time. I originally learned of this italian meringue buttercream, from Cake Journal. It is the not so sweet frosting that I have been searching for. It does not contain any icing sugar at all, unlike most buttercream icing recipes I have tried. I tried the Cake Journal recipe the first time, but had to halve it since then. My mixing bowl and mixer didn't seem to be big enough to be able to handle the full recipe and overflowed a bit when I tried to make the full recipe.

Sugar and Water Mixture
To make it, simply start by bringing to a boil together and dissolve 1 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of water.


Beaten Egg Whites

In the meantime, whip up 6 egg whites until stiff peaks form.*It is recommended that you use only pasteurized egg whites for food safety reasons.

I cannot easily find pasteurized egg whites so I instead use meringue powder. I beat together 6 Tbsp. Meringue powder, plus 3/4 cup room temperature water until stiff peaks form. (Instead of egg whites)

Then, Slowly and CAREFULLY add the sugar and water mixture to the stiffened egg whites and beat on low for about 10 minutes.

Curdled Mess!

Next add 1 1/2 cups of butter. Cut the butter into one inch cubes and add one cube at time.
Once all of the butter is added, mix on high until it is smooth and creamy.
It may go through a curdled looking stage, but keep beating and you will end up with some amazing frosting!
*Louise's from Cake Journal didn't seem to curdle this way, but maybe it was because I used the meringue powder instead.
Amazing buttercream!



This is how my buttercream frosting turned out. It seems a bit thicker and not quite as fluffy as Louise's, but again, maybe it was the meringue powder. One of these days, I will find some pasteurized egg whites and see what happens! :)

-->
Color the frosting if you so desire and then pipe or spread onto your favorite cake or cupcakes. Enjoy!

Comments