Homegrown Garlic


I didn't realize how easy it was to grow garlic until my sister told me that all you had to do was plant one clove of garlic and you would get a whole head of garlic months later! I'm not much of a gardener, but I thought I would plant a few cloves just for fun. That was two years ago. I re-planted many more cloves last year and this is the batch I ended up with this year.

I didn't cut the garlic scapes off so I ended up with smaller bulbs of garlic. (At least that's what my sister said) Now, my dad told me that I ended up with smaller garlic heads because I planted them too close together. Either way, garlic can be planted in the fall or the spring. Garlic planted in the fall is usually ready by springtime and the garlic that is planted in the spring should be ready by the end of summer or early fall. Since fall has begun, I have planted many cloves of garlic from the new bulbs that I dug out from the garden. I'm looking forward to having even more homegrown garlic to cook with.

It's amazing how much garlic you can end up with from just a few cloves!

Comments